Monday, October 3, 2011

Olive Website

Hey guys, I'm starting to learn Javascript for web and I thought I'd piece together a website for Olive. This will be changing a ton throughout the course of the quarter, obviously, but it gives us a starting point to iterate on.

http://becksebenius.com/Olive/

For our own development, I've set up a comment box so people can easily leave messages and post bugs. Hopefully nobody trolls it, since it's all anonymous. It should go without saying, then, to not give this site out to everybody and their grandma until we get a more proper comment system set up. I'm going to talk to Jack today about getting a hosting account set up.

On that topic, I've been thinking about domain names to use for the game. Olivegame.com is taken by some korean company, and olive.com is some photographer's portfolio. So far I'm thinking ProtectOlive.com, or SaveOlive.com.

Also on that page you'll find a new build of the game. Last quarter I was really having a tough time with the interface, and I think I've finally figured out what was wrong with it. Our game isn't an RTS! We're only controlling 4 units at most at a time, so having marquee selection and click selection didn't really make sense. Right now I'm trying out having only one unit selected at a time, with the camera focused on them. You can click on other units to select them, of press spacebar to toggle through. I haven't implemented the number keys yet but that will obviously be an option. This way seems a lot more intimate, which I believe is much more in line with how these controls should feel. Let me know what you think about this new controls! Either at the meeting, or on here.

Anyways see you all at the meeting!

No comments:

Post a Comment